9 Reasons Your Resume Gets Rejected
Even though most job-seekers qualify to perform many different jobs, they still worry about their qualifications when it comes to job openings.
Of course they worry, we can’t blame them for that and they will likely continue worrying until they find a new job.
However, qualifications are only a small part of the job-search process. Highly qualified job-seekers get rejected every day by recruiters.
So why do these qualified candidates get rejected by employers? Here’s a few reasons:
- The hiring manager changed the spec dramatically from the time it was published (it happens) and now they want someone with 10 years’ experience instead of 5.
- An entry-level resume screener couldn’t understand the words or their context on the resume or application.
- The company is using a resume screening software that uses keyword search and it can’t tell who’s qualified and who isn’t.
- The job applicant is too qualified and the recruiter assumes they’ll ask for too much money so they reject it before asking the critical question, “What is your target salary?”
- One little tiny bullet point was left out and even though it wasn’t an essential requirement, the job recruiter decided it was and tossed it into the trash.
- Whether it’s age, education, or some irrelevant factor, the applicant doesn’t fit the profile that the hiring manager has in mind.
- Even though the job applicant has a highly relevant background and is qualified, their experience is from a different industry and the person screening resumes doesn’t see their relevance.
- They’ve been out of work for a while so their application is automatically rejected.
- Even though they’re highly qualified for the job, the hiring manager decides to hire an old college buddy.
So, even though you might be qualified for a job opening, there is no guarantee you’ll get the job offer, or even make it in for an interview. So, what can a job-seeker do? We’ll give you some options in our next blog, “How to Get Past the Resume Rejection Pile.” Stay tuned!